8/24/12

The Near Misses - Listing #32 - #26 On My Jersey List


So here we go. These are all of my jerseys that were very close to making the cut of the top 25. I have listed all of those that are within 2 points. Here are all the 78s and 79s in my collection, in reverse order - 32 up to 26.

#32: Philadelphia Flyers White Reebok Premier Winter Classic Jersey

Jersey Type: 17. It’s a Reebok premier, so this one is set in stone.

Jersey Condition: 19. I’ve only worn this pristine jersey a couple times. It looks new.

Logos: 17. I do like the Flyers logo and scheme, but it can’t go higher than 17 here, as there are numerous ones I like better and rank higher. Yet, a 17 is a good score.

Personalization: 0. Well, it’s a blank, what can I say? Now, if I were to personalize this jersey with a fair to decent player, it would be knocking on the door of the top 10. If I were to personalize it with a really good player, it leaps into my top 10 - as it should. Imagine a Chris Pronger on the back of this jersey. That would be a solid 8 and put it at an 86. That would put it at #6 on my list. But for now, it remains blank.

Color Scheme: 8. I like the orange, white, and black color scheme they have going in Philadelphia, and I especially like that they are making more use of the orange these days. Orange, black, and white isn’t the best though, in my opinion, so it gets an 8.

Tradition/History/Longevity/Rarity: 17. It’s a classic team, but not original 6. That being said, it has to get an extra point or two here simply for being a Winter Classic jersey, even though the Flyers immediately made this jersey their standard road jersey in the years following the Classic in Boston.

Total Score: 78

#31: New York Islanders White CCM 4 Hamrlik Jersey

Jersey Type: 15. It’s a CCM replica. Enough said.

Jersey Condition: 18. It’s in really good shape, but I bought it used and it’s been worn a few times. Overall though, no flaws, so 18 seems right here.

Logos: 16. I like the Islanders logo and scheme (other than the orange thing they trotted out in the mid 2000s). It’s not great, but it’s still a pretty decent logo and scheme. I like the Flyers logo slightly more, so 16 here for the Isles. They also have some interesting shoulder patches on these jerseys. It’s like an orange and blue bar code. Different, to be sure, but it works.

Personalization: 6. Roman Hamrlik has been around forever it seems. He’s a good solid defensive defenseman. A 6 might be a small slight here, but he’s definitely not more than a 7 here. I went with 6, since he’s certainly above average. Anyone that stays in the league that long has to be.

Color Scheme: 8. Pretty much similar to the Flyers. Orange, white, and navy blue this time. Not too bad, but not the best either. They do well with it on their white jerseys - and their home blues.

Tradition/History/Longevity/Rarity: 15. The Islanders aren’t an original 6 team, but they’ve been around for some time and had a sweet run of Stanley Cups back in the early 80s before Gretzky, Messier, and Coffey and the Edmonton Oilers took over. 15 works here for me. It’s not a rare jersey by any stretch and the tradition, history, and longevity don’t rival some other teams.

Total Score: 78

#30: Detroit Red Wings Red CCM Home Jersey

Jersey Type: 15. A standard CCM replica. Nice jersey.

Jersey Condition: 19. This one is in great shape. It looks new.

Logos: 18. I like the Winged Wheel. Hate the team, but that’s irrelevant. I’m trying really hard to be objective here! It’s a good classic Original 6 logo with staying power. One of the best in the league.

Personalization: 0. As we speak I’m getting this one personalized with a 24 Probert. He’s gotta be worth 8, as he is the best goon in NHL history. Not a Hall of Famer though, so I can’t go more than 8. This jersey rockets way up the list with the personalization.

Color Scheme: 9. Well done. Really well done. They do the 2 color look just about as good as you can in Detroit.

Tradition/History/Longevity/Rarity: 17. Original 6 home and away jerseys get a standard 17 in this category. This one is no different. Slap a Probert on the back and give it 8 more points and this guy shoots up into the top 10. I am anxiously awaiting the completion of it. If I went with Yzerman, Gordie Howe, or Nick Lidstrom I would have to add 10. I just wanted a Probert. How can you not?

Total Score: 78

#29: Vancouver Canucks Blue CCM Vintage Stick and Rink Jersey

Jersey Type: 17. CCM Vintages get 17 here. They’re a good heavy jersey; well made.

Jersey Condition: 18. I got it new and have worn it a fair amount. It has no major flaws - it’s just been worn a fair amount.

Logos: 17. I like the old simplicity of this logo. It’s not top notch, but it’s pretty darn good. 17 is a good number here.

Personalization: 0. It’s blank, so it gets el zippo. Bruce has this same jersey with Luongo on it. I can’t imagine that one not hitting his top 20, but we shall see.

Color Scheme: 8. I like it of course, but on the other hand, blue, green, and white isn’t the greatest combination. Thankfully, they minimized the green on this jersey (not a fan of blue and green combo) and ended up with a jersey that is a majority dark blue with white. 8 is right here.

Tradition/History/Longevity/Rarity: 18. This one has to get a high score, it’s a throwback jersey, although the Canucks recently trotted out a similar version of this jersey as their alternate jersey. By no means can this score perfectly, but I’m certainly not afraid to slap a big number on it here. And I did.

Total Score: 78

#28: Montreal Canadiens White Reebok Premier Away Jersey

Jersey Type: 17.It’s a Premier, so 17 is the set in stone score here.

Jersey Condition: 17. I got this brand new and it now has some light staining on it. For some reason, white Reebok premiers tend to pick up dust and stains like it is their job. Other than that, this one is pristine. I need to give it a good cleaning and see if the score here cannot go up. If it does, this jersey is in the top 25.

Logos: 19. Anyone that argues that the Canadiens C with the H is not one of the best logos in the NHL needs to have their head examined. I don’t think it’s the absolute best logo in the league (Bruce, I think, does), but it’s definitely top 3 in my book. 19 all day on this one.
 
Personalization: 0. I really should slap a player on this one and disrupt my top 10.

Color Scheme: 9. I’d give it a 10, but I can’t, since I am of the firm opinion that the Canadiens look better with the horizontal striping around the jersey (like on their home reds). So, 9 it gets. The red, white, and blue works. That’s probably why it’s a common scheme in the NHL.

Tradition/History/Longevity/Rarity: 17. I gave all the Original 6 standard jerseys a 17 here for consistency. The only thing they aren’t is rare, but the tradition and longevity for them are unrivaled.

Total Score: 79

#27: Chicago Blackhawks Black Pro Player Mid 2000s Alternate

Jersey Type: 16. This is one of those heavyweight Pro Player jerseys that I love. 16 is the number that Bruce and I agreed upon for the Pro Player.

Jersey Condition: 18. I got it used, but there really isn’t a thing wrong with it. It’s just been worn. Love this jersey. Did I mention I am a Blackhawks fan?

Logos: 19. I would give it a 20, but I won’t. I think the two best logos in the NHL are the Indianhead of the Chicago Blackhawks and the Maple Leaf in Toronto. The only thing holding me back from slapping a 20 on this one is that I think the Hawks logos look best on red or white. Those two jerseys both got 20s in this category.

Personalization: 0. Sadly, this one is blank. It would be sweet with Patrick Sharp and the assistant captain’s A on it, right?

Color Scheme: 9. I love the Hawks color scheme. The way they use it is done to perfection. However, the red and white versions of this jersey are better than the black one. Thus, this gets a 9.

Tradition/History/Longevity/Rarity: 17. It’s an Original 6 alternate jersey that looks exactly like the regular jerseys. Easy 17 here. I’m interested to see where Bruce’s black jersey here lands. He’s got it personalized with the captain, Jonathan Toews.
 
Total Score: 79

#26: San Jose Sharks White Reebok Premier 14 Cheechoo Jersey

Jersey Type: 17. Reebok Premiers score 17.

Jersey Condition: 19. This one is in great shape. I got it brand new and have only sported it 5 or 6 times. It’s essentially new.

Logos: 16. The Sharks logo is OK. It’s actually pretty good, but it’s not top of the line as far as NHL logos go. So, a 16 seems right here.

Personalization: 7. Jonathan Cheechoo would get a 5 or a 6 from me here if it weren’t for one season where he potted 50 goals. The 50 goal season is enough to bring him up to a 7. Other than that one season, he didn’t do much.

Color Scheme: 7. It’s not a bad color scheme, but the addition of the golden orange-ish color as a highlight brings the scheme down a point in my book. My favorite Sharks jerseys ever are the original ones they skated with back in the 90s. Don’t get me wrong, the golden orange-ish highlight actually works with this jersey. But it’s not the greatest color scheme in the world. 7 is OK.

Tradition/History/Longevity/Rarity: 13. It’s the Sharks. First of all, the franchise is what, 20 years old or so? Secondly, what have they done? They’ve went on a run of playoff appearances, but they’ve garnered a high seed and choked more often than not. I love this jersey. It’s sharp looking and personalized, but it’s a near miss to the top 25.

Total Score: 79

Those are all of the near misses. All of them are excellent jerseys in their own right and many would surely vault up the rankings if they were personalized. Time will tell on the final rankings of these jerseys.

No comments:

Post a Comment