9/4/13

Another Lutheran inclined to rant ...

It seems appropriate to introduce myself before I begin. I share a similar path as Andrew, namely, formerly Reformed, and presently Lutheran. I was blessed throughout my life, even during periods where I did not profess the purity of doctrine that we confess as Lutherans. Nevertheless, I always was missing the substance and clarity of God's Word uninhibited by some of the false teaching I had believed. One of the first doctrines that has motivated by decision to investigate the Reformed and Lutheran traditions was baptism. I was raised a Baptist with Calvinistic leanings and eventually was admitted as a Presbyterian in the ARP. However, the inconsistencies and divisive nature of the Reformed faith led me to question what they confess of baptism and as a result I was blessed to read some of Luther's writings on baptism (Small Catechism and Large Catechism). Eventually I studied the Lords Supper and the beauty of receiving Christ's Body and Blood were enough to sustain me. 

It is for this reason that my first blog post(s) will introduce the topic of Baptism in lieu of the Early Church Fathers. One of the reasons for discussing this topic is because many Baptists will assert that infant baptism is a result of Roman Catholicism, Emperor Constantine, or some other extra-biblical and heretical means. Next to this is the adversity of Baptists and Reformed to the biblical doctrine of baptism, namely, that it saves us. For this reason, the discussion will have a two-fold purpose. In general, to understand what it is the Church confessed of baptism, and its efficacy, and in particular to see how infant baptism was a doctrine taught by the apostles and delivered down through the ages. The posts will conclude by showing that at the end of the Second Century and beginning of the Third Century the practice of infant baptism was normative for the Christian Church. The consistency and purity of this doctrine will help to enforce its orthodoxy. The unopposed nature of its teaching also helps to show the Catholicity of the teaching. Infant Baptism was practiced in Asia Minor, France, Egypt, Carthage, and Rome by the mid-Third Century. 

I am going to address the issue of Baptism over at least three blog posts. The first post will very briefly discuss the alleged opposition to baptism asserted by the Apostolic Fathers Justin Martyr and Tertullian. This will be followed by a more detailed discussion of baptism, its efficacy and the orthodoxy of infant baptism across the Christian Church. In order to drive the point home, the following Early Church Fathers will be considered: Polycarp, Ignatius, Shepherd of Hermas, Irenaeus, Origen, Hippolytus, and Cyprian. Since most Baptists assert that baptism was a development of the Fourth Century, the last post will briefly address the Augustine-Pelagian Debate regarding Original Sin. One of the reasons for discussing this topic is because of its relationship to baptism's efficacy and the necessity of baptism for all sinners. 


I look forward to hopefully posting more with Andrew, but for the time being I will try and dedicate some time to this short little series. I am quite busy with some upcoming exams and will do my best to keep up on these posts. 

1 comment:

  1. But your ranting will get raves. Great post! I look forward to your thoughts on Holy Baptism. What a glorious gift indeed!

    ReplyDelete