1/2/14

So...It's 2014.

New Year's resolutions are all the rage. Tons of people talk about them this time of year. Well, to put it quite bluntly, I've never been one to make them. And I'm not planning on changing that this year. I know, someone is going to point out that resolving not to make a resolution is actually making a resolution. Well, you got me there, smarty pants.

We also had a poll open to vote in for about 3 months. It simply asked: What church/theology best represents you. I gave four options: Reformed/Calvinist, Lutheran, Roman Catholic/Eastern Orthodox, and Baptist. Apparently, roughly 75% of viewers of this blog are Lutheran. That's good, since we're Lutheran guys who are blogging. We are also happy to have the other 25% of viewers as well. Per the poll, most of the viewers who are not Lutheran are Reformed. The Baptist and Roman Catholic/Eastern Orthodox categories only received 3 votes each out of 87 total votes cast.

A new poll is up regarding baptism. Be sure to vote!

However, I would love to review my turbulent 2013 and then talk about the books I would like to read and dig into in the very near future.

2013 was a year of difficult decisions that I had to make. I became convinced of Lutheran theology very early in the year but waited for a few months before pursuing a Lutheran (LCMS) congregation. I was formerly a member at a Baptist church but was Reformed in my thought. I wanted to make sure it was not a phase. I eventually began making the jump in the late Spring.

All 4 of my daughters were baptised in my LCMS congregation this year. What joyful moments for a father! I was also confirmed in the LCMS and in time resurrected this blog after a good Reformed friend found it online. I thought I had deleted it!

Here are 10 books (not including Holy Scripture) I want to read through and digest this year...

1. The Book of Concord: The Confessions of the Lutheran Church.

I've read through most of the Book of Concord already and I am very familiar with it. That being said, the Book of Concord is a staple for me. I return to it often to be taught from great theologians of the past.

2. The Lutheran Difference: An Explanation and Comparison of Christian Beliefs

I just got this puppy in the mail and have already skimmed some of it. I'm looking forward to just sitting down and reading through it. It appears to be an outstanding resource on comparing Lutheranism to many other Christian churches.

3. The Self-Donation of God, by Dr. Jack Kilcrease (http://jackkilcrease.blogspot.com/)

I started this one and read the first chapter. So far, so good. Christology is a Lutheran strong point, and I am looking forward to reading Dr. Kilcrease's writings.

4. The Hammer of God, by Bo Giertz

I just got this one in the mail as well. I've heard nothing but good things about this book from fellow Lutherans and am looking forward to devouring this one.

5. The Righteousness of One, by Jordan Cooper (http://justandsinner.blogspot.com)

I read 2 chapters of Pr. Cooper's book a couple months ago. The New Perspective on Paul is interesting to me, but it's not at the top of my list. So far what I read was interesting. I look forward to completing it.

6. This Is My Body, by Hermann Sasse

I started this one as well. This is a Lutheran classic. Finish it, Taylor, finish it.

7. Sex and the Marriage Covenant, by John Kippley

This book is a full-scale treatment of the marriage covenant by John Kippley, a Roman Catholic. I'm very interested in his treatment of the topic. $5 says someone crucifies me for wanting to read this.

8. We Confess Anthology, by Hermann Sasse

I don't have this book, but, Deo Volente, I will get it soon!

9. Law and Gospel: How to read and apply the Bible, by C.F.W. Walther

This is another LCMS classic put out by Concordia Publishing House that I still need to get. I am hoping to have it soon!

10. The Fire and the Staff: Lutheran Theology in Practice, by Klemet Preus

Another one I am excited to eventually get. This book has been recommended to me by a few different people whom I respect.

And there is my list. I hope to get to these books in 2014. No, it's not a resolution. :P

No comments:

Post a Comment