8/5/15

THE SANCTIFICATION DEBATES

A Lutheran brother recently inquired about the sanctification debates among Lutherans. I responded as follows:

"So the progressive sanctification debate is really a lot about what sanctification looks like, and how we as Lutherans understand the third use of the law. All agree that the law always accuses. But from my perspective, it seems to me that those that are "sanctification-focused" tend to downplay what the central focus should be. I have heard some of them say "yes justification is central BUT...." 

.......anyhoo I don't dig that kind of language. The Gospel should never have a "BUT" in it. It needs to be clear.

"My thing is that third use is one of thankfulness. The law is a guide for us in the sense of living out of thankful response to the Gospel. In freedom.

"Another helpful distinction is the Two Kinds of Righteousness. Before God--"coram Deo"--we are completely passive and holy and perfect and clean b/c of Christ. Our standing with Him is passive and holy. Before the world--"coram mundo"--we grow in our sanctification progressively. It is most helpful to understand that we do *not* grow **before God**. How could we anyways? God requires perfection. We grow before the world. Mankind looks at our works. Our neighbor needs our works. God does not need our works.

"Understanding it this way has been tremendously freeing for me. It is wonderfully Good News. I do not need to strive *before God*. I am already passive and clean before Him. I cannot get any holier before God b/c I have Christ's Righteousness. I strive out of freedom to serve my fellow man."

No comments:

Post a Comment