9/5/15

WHY LUTHERANISM? BECAUSE CHRIST IS *FOR YOU*

I did not come to Lutheranism because I "figured things out" by reading articles, although studying can be a good thing.

I did not come to Lutheranism for the beauty of the liturgy of the Divine Service, although the liturgy is indeed beautiful.

I did not come to Lutheranism because of a desire to be connected to the past and to the historic catholicity of the Church, although it is a valid desire to wish to be connected to the catholicity of the Church.

No indeed.

I came to Lutheranism for the pure and clear and unadulterated Gospel given to sinners like me in Word and Sacrament. God coming down to me. The gracious God Who loves everyone and died for everyone on the Cross. The God Who desires everyone to be saved. The God Who gave His only Son for the world, and continues to send His Son down to us in His Word and in His Sacraments.

I came to Lutheranism because of the "for *you*."

I came to Lutheranism because of "*Josh*, this is the True Body of Christ, given for *you* for the forgiveness of sins. *Josh*, this is the True Blood of Christ shed for *you* for the forgiveness of all of your sins."

I came to Lutheranism because of "*Josh*, upon this your confession, as Christ's minister and in the stead of Christ I forgive you of all of your sins in the Name of the Father, and of the Son†, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen."

I came to Lutheranism because a "striving" mindset and a "sanctification" mindset always fails.

I came to Lutheranism because free justification for the sake of Christ is always central, as my soul needs.

I came to Lutheranism because I was burnt out on my "efforts."

I came to Lutheranism because of "just give me Jesus in Word and Sacrament."

I came to Lutheranism because I needed a gracious God.

"Let it be enough for you that you have a gracious God," Luther rightly says.

We are all beggars. This is most certainly true.

We never get past the need of forgiveness.

God loves you.

Jesus died for you.

Rest.

Your sins are forgiven.

5 comments:

  1. Amen Josh. This is most certainly true!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joshy poo, look at *you*. Hey, that rhymed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Josh, I'm certainly glad you're glorying in Christ's completed work for you! However, I get all this you describe* from EOPC, I'm surprised you found it lacking at OURC. Where are you going now?

    * for some sense of "True Body/Blood"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me, too.

    This is most certainly true.

    ReplyDelete