10/20/15

THE GOSPEL MUST APPLY TO *ME* AND TO *YOU*

I was talking with an evangelical friend of mine about how even the early church was not clear on the Gospel sometimes. I mentioned the apostle Peter and how the apostle Paul rebuked him publicly for not being clear on the Gospel.

My friend said, "Well, Peter was not clear on the *application* of the Gospel."

The statement was said in passing, but it got me thinking as to how stark the differences are between Lutheranism, which is the 200-proof Gospel, and the rest of Christianity. 

You see, for us Lutherans, the *application* of the Gospel *is* part of the Gospel, because if the Gospel does not *apply* to *me* in space and time, then it is not good news for *me*.

It is all about pastoral care.

It is about comfort and assurance.

If it is only general categories, then I am still left with doubt.

This is why the Sacraments are pure Gospel for us. They are the Gospel applied in space and time. They are not secondary. They are part of the Good News that Jesus applies His forgiveness to *me*.

We find the Revealed God in Jesus Christ as for us in Word and Sacrament.

For *me*.

For *you*.

5 comments:

  1. I just find it near impossible to believe I am among the saved. I was baptized 26 years ago; left Christianity because I was going insane with guilt and fear (I was an evangelical); and in the past few years came back, very much drawn to Lutheranism. I want to believe I am forgiven by God, but my life is nowhere near what a Christian's should be. I just can't seem to be able to love my neighbor, much less my enemy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have good news for you. The King of the universe has taken away your sin and declared you clean and forgiven at the Cross. He showed you this in time and space at your Holy Baptism. It is not based upon how you feel at all. It is based purely upon God's promises delivered to you in Word and Sacrament. Therefore as your fellow priest I declare to you that you are saved and forgiven. In the Name of the Father, and of the Son†, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.

      Delete
    2. Still further, Jesus Christ fulfilled the law of God for you. Knowing that none of us can truly love our neighbor as ourselves, and knowing that none of us love God with all our heart, mind, soul, and strength, Christ underwent a baptism of repentance for you from His servant John. He did this, knowing our repentance is never perfect.

      You are clean and forgiven. Rest in Him and in His promises.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Josh- Thank you for you kind and hopeful response.

    Rob

    ReplyDelete