2/23/15

That Pesky Friendly Atheist Just Debunked Christianity - Part 2

I began this series of posts on a video posted on youtube by the popular Friendly Atheist. In it, he poses 78 questions for Christians. I went through questions #1-22 yesterday. I didn't go into much depth, but I did endeavor to show that the video presents a vast misunderstanding of Christianity in general. The blog can be found here:

Friendly Atheist - Part 1

The video is here:

I will begin with question #23 and answer another handful of them.

#23: Is there anything in your life right now that makes you doubt God's existence?

#24: If you did doubt God's existence, how would your life change?

The clear and easy answer here is no. I don't doubt the existence of God. There is simply way too much proof in creation that He exists. Plus you have the whole resurrection thing, the historicity of Christ, and so on. On the other hand, for sure, I too am a sinful man and I do doubt Him sometimes. But that is not because of anything He has done or not done, but because of our inherent human  nature to suppress the truth about Him.

#25: Was Jesus white?

Got any more stupid questions? No, really. This is a really dumb question. I'll indulge it anyways. Jesus was a Jew. Are Jews white? I'll let you decide.

#26: Why does it seem that God is more likely to help someone who is a talented athlete than a starving child overseas?

He does? This is based on what assumption? That money and fame are somehow the goal of Christianity? Because they're not. Both the starving child overseas as well as the rich and successful athlete need Christ to save them from their sins.

#27: Why does God seem to hate Africa?

Wow, we're only to #27, and Mr. Mehta is really starting to stretch for content in his video. Why does God hate Africa? Really? I mean, how do you answer this one? God doesn't hate Africa and He doesn't hate America and He doesn't hate Iran either. He hates sin. And we're sinners. As we stand, in and of ourselves (I am talking about all humanity universally) we are under the wrath of God. We simply do not add up. That is why there is this whole Jesus guy. And stuff.

#28: If a group of people came to your community...and tried to convert you...would you listen to them...or dismiss them?

Of course I would listen to them. Why do you think I am a Christian? Because I just willy-nilly decided to be one? A lot of Christians are pretty knowledgeable about other religions.

#29: Does God speak to you, personally?

Yes, through His Word. AKA The Holy Scriptures. Does He personally whisper in my ear? No. And look at the results from people who claim that He does? They all hear different stuff and believe different things. So, along with Mr. Mehta, I will stand opposed to this idea.

However, when you look at Scripture in context, it all comes together. Dozens of books written by dozens of men over thousands of years all pointing to the same exact guy. Coincidence?

#30: If God spoke to you and told you to kill your child, would you do it?

He wouldn't do that. Yes, He did that with Abraham and Isaac in Genesis. But He then provided a ram, did He not? Plus, to treat that narrative as God being a capricious murderer is to completely miss the point: it points to Christ.

#31: If God told you to kill me, would you do it?

Nope. Thou shalt not murder. But then, God wouldn't tell me that.

#32: Is God always watching over you?

Yes. It's called the omniscience and omnipresence of God. He's watching you too.

#33 How about when you're on the toilet?

Yes. But then I really don't need to go any further with this question. It's nothing more than a shock tactic.

#34 What do you say to Muslims who believe the Quran is the Holy Book?

I really don't interact with Muslims much, if at all. Let's just put it this way. Allah contradicts himself in matters of morality repeatedly in the Quran.

#35: Are they wrong?

Yes. Historically, Islam is nothing more than a Christian heresy. It's a reaction against Christianity.

#36: Have you read the Quran?

Not all of it, but I have read some good sized chunks.

#37: And why do you so easily dismiss their Holy Book?

Oh I dunno...maybe because it says that Islam affirms the 10 commandments (without directly stating them) and then Allah tells Muslims to murder the infidels? Would that count as a big problem?

#38: And why do you get upset at atheists who dismiss yours?

I don't get upset with atheists who dismiss Scripture. But I have yet to see one actually deal with Scripture in it's proper context or even attempt to interpret it for what it is telling us. If an atheist did try to do such a thing, I would certainly hear them out.

#39: Is acting on one's homosexuality a sin?

Yes. but so is acting on coveting, stealing, lying, and heterosexual things.

#40: Is homosexuality itself a sin?

Yes. But again, so is lusting after my neighbor's wife.

#41: Do you believe gays and lesbians should have the right to get legally married?

No I do not. That being said, here is my stance. If the government wants to sanction same-sex marriages, go for it. Why do I say that? Because the government does not get to define what marriage is. Marriage is a Christian religious institution, not a state mandated partnership. The state only gets to sanction marriage insofar as they affirm what marriage actually is.

#42: Would your church ever marry a gay or lesbian couple?

No, my church would not. I am a Confessional Lutheran, we do not recognize gay marriages.

#43: If not, and you believe that they should have the right to marry, why do you remain in that church?

This one really doesn't apply to me, but the reverse does. If my church were to have gay marriages, I would leave. Absolutely.

#44: Why would God create people who are gay and then punish them?

This is not a good question. First of all, homosexuality is a sin among millions of other sins. God did not create sin. Scripture says that He created Adam good (and sin is not good). People are the sinners, not God. This question is a fallacy.

#45: If God is already sending gay people who act on their homosexuality to hell, why do so many Christians feel the need to persecute them while on Earth?

Define persecute. Are Christians killing homosexuals? I certainly hope not. If you're going to define persecution as refusing to bake them a cake or arguing that they shouldn't be married...well, that's just weak. That's not persecution.

Likewise, let us be clear. Christ died for the homosexual too. He died for all the sins of every person ever. Christ even died for Mr. Mehta's refusal to acknowledge Him.

I think this Friendly Atheist is grasping at straws with pretty much every question he poses. In essence, he is simply assuming that Christianity holds the same moral standards as (postmodern and becoming very liberal) American culture. Likewise, he is also assuming that his underlying moral convictions and standards are correct and should be held by everyone, including Christians.

I ask again, on what basis can he assume these cultural norms and moral standards? I posit that he simply cannot for the sole reason that he has no standard by which to impose these standards and questions.

I'll continue soon...

Grace and Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment