3/18/15

Pastoring: Non-Sacramental vs Sacramental

I've been thinking a lot lately on how pastoring a church is so much different from a non-sacramental perspective vs. a Lutheran, evangelical catholic perspective. Being a former pastor in an SBC church, the subject is rather fascinating, actually. Here are some of my thoughts on the subject:

1 - The primary mission is different in preaching.

Scripture is seen, in a non-sacramental theology, as strictly a rule book, life guide, or proof-text machine. Preaching in this context always focuses on what the hearer needs to do, change, or be. It is a completely different paradigm, which tacitly tell us the hearer that the Bible was written to make you better. Whether it is preached therapeutically (wider evangelical) or law-based (Reformed and Fundamentalist), the effect is the same: you had better get better.


2 - The messages are typically longer.

When I first became Lutheran, it seemed quite odd that the pulpit was off to the side, and the sermons were typically half as long as I had experienced in my non-sacramental past. At first, I thought "something's wrong with this picture." Then, I realized that the entire service is geared around forgiveness, and the Gospel. Preaching was simply one component, and not the lager, main purpose of the service. The Sacraments of Baptism and the Lord's Supper loomed very large indeed.


3 - It is very difficult to be pastoral as a non-sacramental pastor.

Being Pastoral as a pastor in this tradition is sort of like jumbo shrimp. The two contradict. This is because being a Pastor s a Lutheran is all about leading with the comfort of the Gospel. And leading with the Law so much during the service each week - with no Sacraments to offer forgiveness - doesn't exactly lend itself to the development of a Pastor's heart. In a nutshell, pastoral theology is Lutheran theology.


4 - The non-sacramental pastor's job is mainly to transfer information to the hearer.

I recall the hours of preparation for a sermon while I was a Pastor. It was like preparing for a seminary exam than it was preaching the Word of God through a Gospel lens. Since the goal was information dump, lots of educational prep was needed. This is particularly true in the Reformed tradition. If the hearer understood the finer points of Reformed thought, I had done my job well. If not, I was a failure.


5 - The non-sacramental Pastor is lifted up as someone who should never sin.

My experience, similar to many Pastors', is that me and my family were living in a fishbowl. Every move was watched, and critiqued. You had better maintain the high standards that the congregation sets, or else! Pastors in non-sacramental churches are given the left-boot of fellowship for not living up to the congregation's human expectations, which were often unbiblical and unrealistic. Although I realize Lutherans are not immune to this, we, of all people, are down-to-earth about our sanctification, which has got to help in this regard.

I'm sure I have missed a few points. But if you have noticed the huge difference between Pastors in these two paradigms, these points may help you see why.

No comments:

Post a Comment