7/4/15

LUTHERANISM HAS TO BE *NEEDED*

Lutheranism has to be *needed*, and not just intellectually desired.

What I mean by the above is the following. When I was a Calvinist, I was a Calvinist mainly because I was on a philosophical quest to "find ultimate truth." Calvinism was, and still is, a system that seems to answer questions, and one that is logically coherent.

I was also very successful in convincing many of my friends to embrace Calvinism.

But this same system that is logically rigorous, is also very law-oriented. It has to be. We want something that makes sense, and law makes sense to us. It is a theology of glory, and this is the kind of theology that we love as fallen sinners.

But after a while, the law does its killing work. We come to despair of ourselves. Something may happen in life that does not make sense, and even the system of Calvinism that tries to explain it cannot take away the pain.

Then we learn that neat syllogisms and logical formulae are not what life is really about.

We come to find out that "finding truth" is not what life is really about.

We become convinced that we know we are guilty, and we want to know that we have a gracious God.

It becomes less about finding truth, and more about comfort, and assurance, and pastoral care.

We all have this basic need of forgiveness of sins.

PEOPLE DO NOT BECOME "INTELLECTUALLY CONVINCED" OF LUTHERANISM

When I was a Calvinist, I "intellectually convinced" several friends for the theology of glory which is Calvinism. But since I have been a Lutheran, you know how many I have convinced?

Zero.

My wife has recently become Lutheran, but it was not because of me. It was through being immersed in the Divine Service. Then she saw it was what she *needed*. Only now does she realize that Calvinism could not offer her assurance. She realized that Lutheranism is the only place where Christ comes down to her.

Likewise, Lutheranism is misunderstood. It is foreign to most. By being immersed in the Divine Service, my wife became familiarized with the beauty of God in Christ bringing us beggars His Good Gifts.

I also used to argue from church history and the catholicity of Lutheranism. While this is all true, most people do not think this way. After all, if we only look to catholicity, what's to become of someone who is flirting with Eastern Orthodoxy? Eastern Orthodoxy has catholicity on its side as well. So while catholicity is important, it should not be the deciding factor.

People do not, should not, even cannot, become "intellectually convinced" of Lutheranism.

Lutheranism is not the good ol' time Murican religion.

Lutheranism has to be *needed*.

ONLY LUTHERANISM OFFERS ASSURANCE THAT WE HAVE A GRACIOUS GOD

I realize that the above bold title may seem simplistic to some, and even unfair to others. But I would not be a Lutheran unless I really believed that. I don't get enough of the Gospel in Rome, which focuses on my efforts and merits. I don't get enough of the Gospel in Eastern Orthodoxy, which focuses on our path to theosis. I don't get enough of the Gospel in evangelicalism, which is always asking if we are serving God enough. I don't get enough of the Gospel in Calvinism, which cannot get away from being law-driven and sovereignty-centered.

I need the faith that *just gives me Jesus* in Word and Sacrament *clearly*.

I *need* Lutheranism.

JUSTIFICATION MUST STAY CENTRAL, AND LUTHERANISM GIVES US THIS

At the end of the day, all other branches of the faith either focus on sanctification, or end up getting away from the foundation which is justification. Only Lutheranism keeps justification central, at all times, because Lutheranism sees justification as a *continual* declaration from our gracious God that our sins are forgiven. He stoops to our level, knowing that we do not always *feel* forgiven. So God gives us His gracious promises in Word and Sacrament. God's gracious is objective and universal. It does not depend upon our faith.

LUTHERANISM TRULY IS "THE LONELY WAY"

Lutheranism has been called "the lonely way" by Herman Sasse. Truly this is so. It is the lonely way because it is the theology of the Cross. The theology of glory is everywhere. The theology of glory makes sense to us, and satisfies our intellect.

Lutheranism, on the other hand, makes no sense. It is paradoxical. It goes completely against our feelings.

We don't always "feel" forgiven.

Lutheranism says "you are forgiven, and here is Christ's Body and Blood to prove it."

Lutheranism says "you are forgiven, and here is a minister that declares God's Word to you and lays his hands on you to prove it."

Lutheranism says "you are forgiven, and this water and God's Word wash away your sins to prove it."

Lutheranism says "you are forgiven, and we will process in the middle of the aisle with the Book of the Gospels to prove it."

Lutheranism says, "FOR *YOU*."

Not just general categories.

*You*.

So why Lutheranism?

Because I *need* it.

In the Name of the Father, and of the Son+, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.

11 comments:

  1. Great post Josh! Excellent! - Josh Hagquist

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you brothers! Glory to our precious Savior+!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said! Thank you. As a former presbyterian (PCA) elder, turned confessional Lutheran, your comments strike the heart of the matter. I really appreciate this post as well as your recent one on Baptism, which I shared with family who are trying to understand my wife and I converting to Lutheranism.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Josh, as usual, strikes the heart of the matter. Thanks !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post!

    I was a calvinist for years too, deeply immerse in this system and very in love or puritanism, but I was caught in despair when I realized I could not be what I expect for the others, then I needed a system that preaches the gospel, not only the law and I found Lutheranism, by the Grace of God.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Why should a sinner be anything! Roman Catholic , Lutheran, Seventh Day Adventist; anything! Is the pertinent question. If Lutheranism offers grace; and it does; In what package is the grace offered that Calvinism, Roman Catholicism and Adventism, offer grace in any different fashion. If these other religions offer grace in an unacceptable fashion, who determine how is to be offered grace - Lutheranism?! No! - The scriptures. It was because of a misinterpretation of the offering of grace by those who included works that created the problem; in the first place. The scriptures state that "Noah found grace in the eyes of the Lord"; and yet he would not have found grace in the eyes of the Lord if he disobeyed the commandments of God as the ante-deluvians who didn't. David experienced grace after breaking three commandments of God in envy;adultery; and murder and conspiracy to deceive Uriah; and yet David was given grace by God; but would not have been given grace had he not admitted to breaking four of God's commandments..and an admission directly elicited by God himself; and with grace accompanied by punishment and directly administered by God himself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lutheran Calvinist Baptist Methodist Orthodox are all off shoots of roman catholicism there is absolutely no difference between them

    ReplyDelete
  8. Blowhards gonna blowhard I guess

    ReplyDelete
  9. Put your name on it "unknown." And read Romans 11:6

    ReplyDelete