7/4/16

The Faith Like a Child: Only Lutheranism

Only Lutheranism, like the faith of a child, takes the Bible at its Word. Other traditions do not.

Consider:

"I take the Bible literally, but that can't mean water Baptism. It must mean Spirit baptism."

"I take the Bible literally, but that can't mean Baptism saves. It's talking about what we do, our faith."

"I take the Bible literally, but 'is' means 'signifies.' It's only a metaphor."

"I take the Bible literally, but 'all' means 'all of the elect.' Or perhaps 'all classes of people.'"

"I take the Bible literally, but 'world' means 'world of the elect.'"

"I take the Bible literally, but 'days' means 'long periods of time.'"

"I take the Bible literally, but surely this cannot mean that infants have faith."

"I take the Bible literally, but 'saved by faith apart from works' cannot mean any kind of work. Surely it must be talking about the specific ceremonial works of the Mosaic law. Surely God must accept our merits that we bring to the table, at least in a gracious sense."

"I take the Bible literally, but surely this passage cannot mean that we are guilty for Adam's sin. That's not fair. But I like the idea that we are held righteous because of Christ's works and not ours."

"I take the Bible literally, but surely this cannot mean we are bound in sin and have no free will. Surely we can only be held accountable if we have the power of free will."

"I take the Bible literally, but this passage cannot mean what it says, because that just wouldn't make sense."
----------
I sure am glad I'm a Lutheran. "Is" means "is." "World" means "world." "Days" means "days." "Baptism saves" means "Baptism saves." "This is My Body" means "This is My Body." "All" means "all." "Saved by faith apart from works" means "Saved by faith apart from works." "No free will and dead in sin" means "no free will and dead in sin." "From my mother's womb You have been my God" means it. "You caused me to trust in You at my mother's breasts" means it. "Adam's sin" means "Adam's sin." "Christ's Righteousness" means "Christ's Righteousness."

Become like one of the babies in Luke, of such our Lord Jesus says the Kingdom belongs to.

No comments:

Post a Comment